The Nonprofit Search Group
The Nonprofit Search Group specializes in executive leadership search projects representing a wide variety of nonprofit sectors, including behavioral healthcare, developmental disabilities, children and family social services, foundations, business and professional trade associations, faith-based institutions and other community building organizations.
Whether your nonprofit organization is seeking to recruit a chief executive officer, chief operating officer, chief financial officer or other key executive leadership position, The Nonprofit Search Group has a well-established search process designed to exceed client expectations with high qualified candidates and a smooth transition process.
Dennis’ extensive experience and reputation as a successful chief executive officer, board chair, foundation president and leadership coach in the nonprofit sector enables him to bring a unique perspective to his client’s executive search needs.
For information on all current searches please contact our office at 973-784-3693.
The Nonprofit Search Group has a five-stage process for conducting each client’s executive search needs:
- Analyze the strategic challenges and the role that the new position will need to play in addressing them. We work very closely with each client to identify the skills and experience needed for the position and will develop a comprehensive customized position and candidate profile for each client’s approval.
- Conduct a targeted search into organizations and sectors to identify those with the relevant skill-sets and qualifications required by each client. Develop a list of qualified prospects for consideration.
- Approach potential candidates to test their interest in the new position, communicate the strengths of the client organization and persuade strong candidates to consider the new opportunity.
- Present the most qualified candidates after conducting in-depth interviews, reference checks and evaluations that best match the position profile developed in stage one.
- Complete the search and provide follow-up support during the initial phase of the candidate’s tenure. Conduct client satisfaction survey.
Recent Search Clients
Housing Partnership of NJ
Make-a-Wish Foundation of New Jersey
Chief Operating Officer/Chief of Staff
Director of Major Gifts and Planned Giving
Director of Medical Outreach
Director of Database and Information Technology
Director of Volunteer Management
Morris County Chamber of Commerce
Chief Development Officer
Chief Financial Officer
Spectrum for Living
Chief Executive Officer
“Dennis and Michele provided outstanding service to our Search Committee during this process. Not only did they furnish us with a list of very qualified candidates from whom Meghan emerged as the selection to be the Chamber’s new President, they also offered wise and helpful counsel as to the process to follow, and they were in constant communication as to our needs. It was a pleasure to work with them.”
Edward W. Ahart, Partner
Schenck, Price, Smith & King, LLP
Chair, Search Committee – Morris County Chamber of Commerce
“Dennis served as a true partner during our recent CEO search, providing the guidance and direction we needed to select a candidate with the knowledge, passion and drive to lead our agency into the future. His practical insights into not-for-profit management and his open and honest communication kept us on track and energized. As a result, the CEO search became a great learning experience for our entire Board, giving us new tools for success.”
Christine LaRocca, Chair, Board of Trustees
Spectrum for Living
“I have worked with Dennis on several projects for MAWNJ over the last 10 years. We keep returning to him because, at the end of the day, Dennis delivers. He brings to the table many years of practical experience as a CEO, board chair and nonprofit leadership coach. Most recently, we contracted with Dennis and Michele Hickey to assist in recruiting a senior leader for a new and pivotal position. I am confident that because of his efforts, not to mention his tremendous instinct, we saw far more capable candidates than if we had done the search ourselves. We’ve used other search firms in the past, but never did we see a pool so competitive as what Dennis provided to us. We will be utilizing his offerings again sometime down the road. I am quite certain of it.”
Thomas P. Weatherall, President & CEO
Make-A-Wish® New Jersey
“Our board needed help with a monumental responsibility: selecting the right person to succeed the founder of our 30-year-old community-based organization. Well, Mr. Miller exceeded our expectations. He brought deep understanding and years of real world experience to the task. Significantly, his legendary wit and good humor kept our anxieties under control and enhanced our decision-making. As a result, we believe we’ve selected the best person to help us meet the challenges of an increasingly dynamic, fast-changing world.”
Elliott Lee, Board Chair
Housing and Neighborhood Development Services (HANDS, Inc.)