By Dennis C Miller
Confidential interviews with key members of the Board, executive team and other key stakeholders are the basis for a successful organizational assessment. An outside facilitator, without bias, is engaged after a careful review of board minutes, board structure, programs/services offered and key planning documents recently produced. The assessment process will include asking:
• Is there a clearly articulated vision and is the organization strategically aligned to achieve this vision?
• How effective is the board? How motivated and engaged are they? Do they evaluate their own performance?
• How effective is executive leadership?
• What obstacles are there to developing governance best practices?
• Are the top achievements effectively communicated to stakeholders?
• How does the Board measure success?
• What is the image/brand in the community?
• What success has been achieved in fundraising?