Whenever you consistently make decisions that benefit your mission, you will earn people’s trust and respect. Respect is really gained through your informal authority: people’s trust and admiration for you, not through the formal authority of your status within the organization. Leaders win hearts by your passion, vision and sincerity. If you build employee trust, your whole organization will be strengthened.
- It’s important for employees to know that you are “there for them”
- Talk to people at all levels of your organization
- Tell your employees and volunteers about your plans for the future and how they participate in its success
- Watch your actions! People will watch how you treat others and how you communicate with them
- If you make a promise to do something, deliver on it. If you cannot, own up to it with honesty and truthfulness.